If you are new to guitar playing, there are several things you need to know, including some of the most basic things like how to put guitar straps. Thats why you’re here, right?
So, what do you need to know about how to put on a guitar strap? First, to put a strap, you must decide what kind of strap you will need to put on your guitar. Then look for the small metal button on the base part of your guitar and its neck. Next, open the hole at the end of the strap and pass the metal button on your guitar’s neck. Then just do the same thing on the base of the guitar. Finally, you can now adjust and test the strap for its convenience and durability.
While you will surely enjoy playing the guitar, it can still hurt your arm by holding it over time. Fortunately, there are already guitar straps available in the market today. It will be the perfect solution so your arms won’t hurt anymore. In addition, it will amazingly hold the guitar while you play. As a result, you can concentrate on what you play and without thinking about whether your arms will be in pain after a long period.
A guitar strap, while giving you comfort, may keep the guitar from dropping. As a result, you will save a significant amount of money on repairs. Many guitars already have a provision for attaching a strap, but some may require you to connect one manually.
The first thing you need to do is choose the right strap for your guitar.
I strongly advise that you choose a guitar strap that is both strong and convenient. First, consider its size. It may easily fall off if what you choose is too big for your body frame. Purchasing a flexible strap is far more beneficial because you can quickly adjust it to your needs.
Second, I suggest getting a cushioned strap so that it won’t scrape your shoulders. And It is significantly more convenient and will allow you to play longer.
And for the materials, you have a lot of options. Some are made of cotton, while others may be made of leather. All you have to do now is choose the one that best fits your needs. Because leather straps are the most strong, they will offer you more protection than the straps made from cotton.
Straps also come in different unique styles and colors. Choose something that best matches your brand and style.
How to put a strap on your acoustic guitar
Below are several tips on how to do it properly
- To begin, find your guitar’s strap button on its body.
- These are little metal studs that are located at the neck and the base of the guitar.
- If you can’t locate any, you might have to make your own. You may do it manually or ask any local store to help you.
- Next, purchase a strap and find the openings on the ends. It is the area across which you have to pass the button through it.
- Insert the strap’s buttonhole into the button at the bottom of your guitar. They should fit together relatively tight, so you should have to use a little more power.
- Make sure the strap adjustment hooks are facing outward.
- Similarly, fasten the other buttonhole on the guitar’s neck.
- Test the strap’s sturdiness by tugging on it. Otherwise, your guitar will end up broken.
- Start playing the guitar in several positions to determine that it rests securely and properly on your shoulder.
- Whereas if the strap falls off the buttons, you will need replacement.
- All that remains is to set the strap’s length so that you can use your guitar properly.
What happens if there is just one button?
If the guitar has only one button at the guitar base, you might purchase a strong string or cord to fit its opposite side. Using the same method as described above, attach each end of the strap to the button.
Insert a strong string between the neck area and the strings from the other side of your strap. Run around the neck, then thread it through the final strap slit. Keep testing the strap by tying a firm knot.
With Strap Locks
These strap locks serve a similar purpose as the strap buttons, except they improve the strap’s safety and stability. One end of the lock is fastened to the guitar’s strap, and the other to the instrument. However, only use this option when the guitar has buttons. If it does not, install buttons before purchasing these locks.
Check the recommended guidelines for how to attach the locks. The process varies from one manufacturer to the next. Simply connect the two parts after you’ve fitted the locks on both the strap and guitar.
They should ideally be attached using a snap. Most include a quick-release feature that allows you to effortlessly remove the strap as desired.
If you would not want to spend on standard locks, you may substitute 5/16-inch rubber washers. After you’ve secured the strap, lay a rubber washer around each knob. As a result, the washer would not allow the strap to move, providing you with protection when playing.
Adjusting the guitar strap to your desired length is indeed an important aspect of the strap setup procedure. The majority of guitarists play their instruments while standing. It is why the length of your guitar strap must be suitable. Otherwise, it may interfere with the performance.
The height and playing style are the defining aspects of the precise length. Most straps include a buckle which you may use to adjust them. Below are some basic rules to remember while adjusting your guitar strap:
Make sure the guitar strap is not twisted once you tighten it.
When installing the strap, place the guitar strap on your shoulder, then stand for the meantime. If you are right-handed, you must place the strap on your left shoulder, and your right shoulder if you are left-handed..
Make all necessary adjustments with the buckles till the guitar rests comfortably on your tummy.
- Make sure the guitar strap is not twisted once you tighten it.
- When installing the strap, place the guitar strap on your shoulder, then stand for the meantime. If you are right-handed, you must place the strap on your left shoulder, and your right shoulder if left-handed.
- Make all necessary adjustments with the buckles till the guitar rests comfortably on your tummy.
- Check if your arms could properly bend over and grip the instrument.
- Check to see whether you can play in all chords easily.
- Also, take a seat and check whether you can still comfortably play.
Overall, a guitar strap can improve a guitarist’s mood and performance and help make life simpler. In addition, it can truly lift your load, allowing you to focus just on playing the guitar. However, regardless of the material used, make sure the strap is strong and comfortable.